Monday, May 20, 2013

Ending on a higher note

In some way, the ending of my relationship with Jinlin resembles the death of a beloved but very old and ill grandma: all parties know (or at least sense) that the end is near, all have been preparing to take the hit, and when the time comes it is a "good death" as far as deaths can be. And still, of course, it does sting occasionally for some time, especially when the good moments, the commitment and earlier small successes in the relationship come to mind.

To end the story of me and Jinlin on a more cheerful note than the previous blunter words, I post here the Karaoke-recording and picture slideshow I made for her for her twentieth birthday in April. We both used to enjoy Karaoke  together and in the beginning of our relationship used to send each other similar recordings of songs. This is Stings "Fields of Gold" and some of my pictures from our time together:

Jinlin was happy about this piece and that's a nice thought even if relationships are not always meant to last.


Me and China, part 2

When I started this blog in August 2012, one of my aims was to strengthen and focus my commitment and understanding of our relationship, especially on times of low communication. While the low communication in the end become insurmountable and this purpose can't be served any more, some purposes still remain, at least for a while. There are still many topics about Chinese culture, Chinese language and my travel experiences left in my list of planned writings and I want to finish those. Perhaps this blog will after that drift to hibernation, perhaps it will remain alive with a slightly adjusted direction, I don't know. In any case I have enjoyed writing and am happy of each moment of reflection these posts have given me. The page views will soon break 10 000 mark and I have also had interesting discussions with some of you readers behind the scenes.

Another side-track that evolved during my relationship with Jinlin is of course my Chinese language studies and the related software I developed for reading and writing Hanyu. These have definitely grown to be enjoyable and valuable hobbies on their own right and I am likely to continue both, seeing how far the slightly reduced motivation in my new situation will take me.

Furthermore I still do have flight tickets in my pocket to Chongqing in July for three weeks. I bought them in April when we still planned to do travelling together with Jinlin and I am not planning to throw them away. But instead of travelling from Chongqing eastward toward Xinxiang, I think I'll head westward to the mountains of Sichuan, that feels good idea :-)

Fish in the sea

Because in the last times of our relationship, Jinlin was almost completely fading away from communication, the ending of the relationship does not bring any immediate dramatic changes on practical level. The most significant effect of letting go of course is the world of possibilities that follow: Like Jinlin said: 我 不想 浪费 你的 时间,你 可以 重新 寻找 你的 爱 ("I do not want to waste your time, you can find your new love"). That is, of course, is a prospect to cherish in this wonderful world: new wonderful women, new possibilities of finding new love.

No comments:

Post a Comment